Building Code Requirements & References:
All of the following codes and ordinances may be viewed at the Community Development Department front desk.
- City of Albany Building and Housing Ordinance
- City of Albany Grading Ordinance
- City of Albany Flood Damage Prevention Regulations Ordinance
- Sanitary Sewer Lateral Requirements
- Seismic Safety Requirement
- Fire Prevention
2010 ADA Standards for Accessible Design:
California Green Buildings Standards Code:
Code Enforcement responds to concerns regarding illegal construction or deterioration of buildings that affect the quality of life of nearby residents.
Following is a listing of the most common violations that can require Code Enforcement by the City.
- Construction in violation of City noise standards
- Inspection of potentially unsafe or unhealthy buildings
- Construction of buildings in violation of building code or zoning standards
- Illegal outdoor storage
- Operation of businesses in residential districts
- Inadequate maintenance of premises
If you notice a violation in your neighborhood, please contact the Community Development Department to report the violation. A staff member will perform a site visit and will contact the property owner in an attempt to resolve the violation. For more serious violations, the City may pursue Nuisance Abatement proceedings, which can result in legal proceedings and financial penalties against the violator.