If You Are Renewing, Replacing or Applying For The First Time

In order to provide sufficient time for processing your application paperwork, please plan to arrive no later than 30 minutes before window closures. 

Required Photocopies for Children Under 16

First-Time Application:

  • Birth Certificate
  • Both Parents’ ID, (front and back, single side)
  • If Parental Consent Used: That parent’s ID (front and back, single sided)

If Child Already has Old Passport:

  • Bring Passport
  • 1 photocopy of Passport Information page
  • Photocopy of the Child's Birth Certificate

If Custody Papers showing legal and physical custody (for each child involved):
Photocopy of full legal document and original

Applications for Minors Under 16 Years of Age

Required Photocopies for Minors 16 & 17 Years Old:

First Time Application:

  • Original and Photocopy of Birth Certificate
  • One Parent required with ID  & 1 photocopy (front and back, single sided)
  • Minor’s ID (DMV ID Card or License or School ID), & 1 photocopy (front and back, single sided)

Renewing & have Old Passport:

  • Old Passport (photocopy of passport information page)
  • One Parent required with photocopy of ID (front and back, single sided)
  • Minor’s ID required (DMV ID Card or License or School ID), & photocopy (front and back, single sided)

Applications for Minors ages 16 and 17

Photocopy Requirements for Adults:

First Time Application:

  • Birth Certificate & 1 Copy
  • 1 Copy of Identification: DMV ID Card or License (front and back, single sided)

Passport expired more than 5 years:

  • Bring expired passport
  • 1 Copy of the passport information page
  • 1 Copy of DMV ID Card or License (front and back, single side)

Lost passport and was only passport adult had: 

  • Birth Certificate and 1 Copy
  • 1 Copy of DMV ID Card or License (front and back, single sided)

Lost Passport & still have old Passport (that can be used as proof of citizenship):

  • Bring older passport
  • Copy of passport information page
  • Copy of DMV ID Card or License, (front and back, single sided)

Application Form for Adults
If you meet the above stipulations ONLY for Other Requirements, see "Application Form for Adults"

If you do not meet the above stipulations and have an expiring passport, refer to: "Adults Qualifying to use DS-82 Mail In Form" to see if you qualify for that service.

Adults Qualifying to Use DS-82 Mail In Form   
DS 82 forms are available at:  www.travel.state.gov

Additional Application Information


If you have never been issued a US passport, or are not eligible to use the DS-82 mail-in renewal form, you will need to complete the form DS-11. All applicants must appear in person. You can obtain all necessary forms from the City’s Passport Window or complete them online at the U.S. Department of State’s official website, www.travel.state.gov .

For ALL application forms you will need the applicant's Social Security Number

Dept Of State Notice of Processing Time As of January 2017:

Standard : 4-6 weeks
Expedited: 2-3 weeks

I'M TRAVELING IN 14 DAYS OR LESS, WHERE DO I APPLY: Call 1-877-487-2778 for an appoint to visit the U.S. Department of State Passport Office in San Francisco. (Note:  The U.S. Department of State Office in San Francisco make passports)