The City of Albany provides both residential and commercial collection services for recycling, organics and trash through a franchise agreement with Waste Management of Alameda County. A new franchise agreement with Waste Management was approved by City Council in October 2011. The new agreement provides a number of new services for the community to help reach the goal of "zero waste" (90% diversion from the landfill). The City of Albany has achieved the locally adopted Alameda County goal of a 75% diversion rate by the year 2010, and currently has a waste diversion rate of 83%. The following summarizes new program opportunities.
Did You Know?
- The City of Albany has one of the highest diversion rates in the county at 83%
- The majority of Albany residents are actively composting food scraps
- The majority of Albany businesses recycle and use organics services to compost food scraps
Collection Service Issues & Missed Pickups
Please see our Frequently Asked Questions regarding most frequent service issues. If a missed pickup occurs or you experience any other service issues, contact Waste Management of Alameda County at (510) 613-8710 to file your complaint.
NEW! Waste Management Service Guide for Residential Customers
NEW! Waste Management Service Guide for Commercial and Multi-Family Customers
- Senior Discount Form: Seniors 62 years of age and older recieve a 20% discount on service.
- Disabled Service Form: residents with an ongoing physical disability that prevents them from being able to wheel a cart curbside may qualify for an exemption to curbside service (carts will be serviced from location as designated by resident - typically side or backyard)
- Micro Can Form: a 10-gallon micro can is available for trash for those generating very little trash
A FAQ is also available.
Decrease trash, decrease costs - residents may qualify for reduced garbage service levels including a 20-gallon or 10-gallon container at a reduced cost. Seniors 62 years of age and older qualify for a 20% discount on service. Contact Waste Management of Alameda County for these service changes at: 510-613-8710.
The current rates for collection services can be found here.
New program offerings:
• New trash and recycling containers along Solano Avenue - the containers are equipped with a solar compactor capability to collect an increased amount of trash and recycling
• Residential curbside collection of household batteries, cellular phones, and CFL lightbulbs - place batteries and cell phones in a heavy duty sealed plastic bag on top of the recycling container. Contact Waste Management at (510) 613-8710 to request a CLF collection bag free of charge.
• Community compost give-away events (2 per year)
• Public education programs including an outreach campaign to inform the community about new services
• Focused outreach program to increase diversion within the Multi-Family sector
• Annual on-call bulky pickup (1 per year), with optional second on-call bulky pickup, and increased outreach regarding this service
• New alternative fuel vehicles
• Acceptance of all plastics within the recycling container (except plastic utensils and hangers)
Details on other programs can be found here:
Holiday Collection Schedule
Waste Management's Customer Service Center will be closed for the following holidays: New Year's Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Day.
Waste Management will not perform collection services on New Year's Day, Thanksgiving Day, or Christmas Day. Pickup will be one day late after the holiday.
Holiday Tree Collection
Holiday trees are collected through the month of January. Place your tree at the curb next to your green waste, recycling and trash carts on your regular pick up day. Trees taller than six feet must be cut into lengths of 6 feet or smaller. Remove all tinsel, ornaments, nails, and tree stands. Green trees only, flocked trees will not be accepted. After January 31st, trees will not be collected curbside, unless they are cut up and properly placed in your green waste cart. Questions? Call Waste Management of Alameda County at (510) 613-8710.