Due to the Alameda County shelter-in-place order, the Community Development Department counter is closed until further notice. Building Permit applications can be emailed to email@example.com for processing. Inspection schedule has been reduced to Mondays and Thursdays only.
Do I need a permit?
Check to see if you need a permit for the work you are going to do.
Who can pull a permit?
- Contractors - State-licensed Contractors may apply for and pull all necessary building permits
- Agents - Third Party representatives can act on behalf of the property owner, with their written authorization, and apply for and pull building permits. The state-licensed contractor performing the work needs to be listed on the application.
- Owners - Property Owners can apply and pull building permits, either listing the hired contractor on the application, or as an Owner-Builder, acting as their own general contractor.
- To pull a permit as an Owner-Builder, the applicant MUST own the property, consider the property their primary residence for a minimum of 12 months prior to completion of work, and complete work themselves.
- For more information on state law regarding acting as Owner-Builder, see Contractors State License Board website.
- Contractors State License Board Owner Builder Brochure
All contractors performing work must have a current contractor's state-license and Albany business license.
Small Scale/Over-the-Counter Permits
For smaller residential projects, limited to no or only minor structural changes, such as:
- Window replacements
- Siding Replacements
- HVAC/furnace installations
- Water Heater repair/replacement
- Electrical service upgrades
A completed application including detailed scope of work with supporting documents, such as photos, site plan, product cut sheets, and/or materials list will be required to apply for an over-the-counter permit.
Large Scale/Plan Review Permits
Other projects that do not qualify for an Over-the-Counter permit will typically require Plan Review.
For detailed information on Building Permit Submittal Requirements for projects requiring Plan Review, see Plan Review page.
Information regarding building designs and plan sets can be found in: