A shelter-in-place order is in effect for all Alameda County residents. City facilities are closed and non-essential meetings and events are cancelled.  Find more information here.

Any work performed in the public right of way requires an Encroachment Permit  in addition to a Building Permit, when required. Examples of work requiring an Encroachment Permit include, but are not limited to:

  • Trenching in the street for new, repair to, or replacement of utility lines
  • Replacement or repair to sidewalks, including drain work through the curb
  • Construction or widening of a driveway approach
  • Dumpsters or portable outdoor storage units/pods
  • Reserved Parking for moving or other events

To obtain an Encroachment Permit, visit the Community Development Department for an application or use one of the links below. 

Encroachment Permit

Encroachment Permit for Reserved Parking

Encroachment Permit Extension Request Form

Encroachment Permit for Work by Utility Companies