All projects are subject to two types of planning review; Planning and Zoning Commission Review, for larger scoped projects or Administrative Review, for smaller scoped projects.
Planning & Zoning Commission Review
The Planning & Zoning Commission is responsible for reviewing and approving or denying applications, according to the standards of review in the Municipal Code. The Planning & Zoning Commission meets on the second and fourth Wednesdays of the month. Public hearing notices are sent to property owners within 300 ft. of the subject site a minimum of ten days in advance of the hearing.
Project scopes subject to Planning & Zoning Commission review include:
- New commercial construction or additions of 400 square feet or more
- Any commercial project that changes roof lines
- All exceptions to district height limits
- Any project, including signs or awnings, that replaces or conceals existing exterior architectural details
- Master sign program (see Sign Permit Handout )
- New residential construction or additions of 400 square feet or more
- All second story residential additions
- Any new residential construction or addition that significantly changes roof lines of an existing structure
- Applications referred by Community Development Director
- Conditional Use Permits (see Conditional Use Permit Supplemental Questionnaire)
- Parking Exceptions/Reductions
- Variances (see Variance Supplemental Questionnaire)
- Tentative changes to Parcel Map or Subdivision Map
Administrative Review is a staff level review. City staff is responsible for reviewing and approving or denying applications, according to the standards of review in the Municipal Code. However, staff may refer any such application to the Planning & Zoning Commission if the proposed project involves significant issues of policy or design, or any issues of public controversy. Staff works directly with the applicant to determine a public hearing date and time. Public hearing notices are sent to property owners within 300 ft. of the subject site a minimum of ten days in advance of the hearing.
Project scopes subject to administrative review include:
- Residential alterations or additions less than 400 square feet, except second story additions
- Commercial construction or additions less than 400 square feet
- Accessory structures greater than 120 square feet and less than 400 square feet
- Large Family Daycare (Minor Conditional Use Permit)
For additional questions regarding the Planning Review process, please contact the Planning Division.
The Planning Review Process is separate from the building permit process.
After approval has been granted from either City staff or the Planning & Zoning Commission, the applicant may begin the building permit review process. For additional information on Building Permits, please visit the Building Division.