Complaints about barking dogs, vicious animals or any potential animal abuse should be reported directly to Albany Police at 1 + (510) 525-7300.
The Albany Police Department contracts with the City of Berkeley Animal Control Services, in the Berkeley office of special community services. Animal services provides field services for the cities of Berkeley and Albany and shelters animals from Berkeley, Albany, Piedmont, and Emeryville. Field services are provided seven days a week (holidays included) and consist of removing wild life from traps, investigating complaints, investigating dog bites, quarantining animals, picking up confined strays, issuing citations, patrolling parks and other areas, court appearances, giving advice and information, removing dead animals, and other types of calls from citizens.
The Albany Police Department no longer houses arrested persons for extended periods of time. Once the preliminary investigation is completed, the arrested person is transported to either the North County Jail in Oakland or the Santa Rita Jail in Dublin. The Alameda County Sheriff's Department completes the booking process and houses individuals arrested in Albany. For custody status on an arrested person refer to the Sheriff's website: Alameda County Inmate Locator
The Albany Police Department responds to numerous civil complaints from Albany citizens throughout each year. The complaints usually involve landlord/tenant issues, neighbor disputes, and contract violations. Although there sometimes might be a criminal element involved in these disputes, usually the matter is referred to the civil courts to be handled because the case is not a criminal matter.
There is a local organization established to handle these types of civil disputes informally through mediation. The "Services that Encourage Effective Dialogue & Solutions" (SEEDS), was established for the purpose of resolving civil complaints. If you have a civil dispute that you have not been able to resolve contact SEEDS, and see if they have suggestions that might work in your case.
The following links are provided for your convenience however, they are not controlled or maintained by the Albany Police Department:
- Pay Parking Tickets Online
- California Megan’s Law
- U.S. Postal Service-Postal Inspectors
- California Department of Motor Vehicles
- Services that Encourage Effective Dialogue and Solutions
- Albany Police Activities League (APAL)
- Alameda County District Attorney Victim Videos
- California Child Care Network (Trust Line)
- Discover Policing
- Become a Police Officer
Local Allied Agencies
- Berkeley Police Department: 1 + (510) 981-5900
- Alameda County Sheriff's Office: 1 + (510) 272-6878
- Emeryville Police Department: 1 + (510) 596-3700
- Oakland Police Department: 1 + (510) 777-3333
- California Highway Patrol: 1 + (707) 648-4180 (division office)
- El Cerrito Police Department: 1 + (510) 215-4400
- Richmond Police Department: 1 + (510) 233-1214