A shelter-in-place order is in effect for all Alameda County residents. City facilities are closed and non-essential meetings and events are cancelled.  Find more information here.

This Support Services Division provides most of the support services for the police department. It plays a vital role in the everyday business of a functioning police department. The division includes Investigations, Police/Fire Dispatch Center, Property and Evidence Room, and the Records Unit.

Dispatcher at Work

Dispatch Unit

The Police Department's Dispatch Communications Unit provides the foundation of our success. This unit receives all emergency and non-emergency phone calls for police, fire and medical services. At the same time they are aiding the patrol division with traffic stops, pedestrian contacts, and other calls for service, while also assisting citizens in the police department lobby, and responding to outside agencies with requests for aid. The ability to multitask as a dispatcher is important, especially when all of the above happens at once!

*Please note that dialing 911 from a cellular phone may direct your call to the California Highway Patrol. CHP dispatch will then route the call to the associated agency needed. If a citizen needs emergency service through a cell phone within the City of Albany call the non-emergency dispatch number.

Property/Evidence Unit

The Property/Evidence Unit is is maintained by Police Service Technicians (PST's) who are tasked with the documentation, secure custody, and release of recovered/seized property and case evidence. Government identification with photo is required along with proof of ownership. Appointments must be requested at least 24 hours in advance. If you are seeking to retrieve previously recovered property from the Albany Police, or if you have other business with the Property Room Officer call 1 + (510) 528-5764.

If you are claiming property for someone else, you must have either:

  • A court order for the release giving you permission to claim the items; or
  • The original copy of a signed and notarized letter from the rightful owner giving you permission to claim their property