Host a block party and get to know your neighbors. When neighbors interact and connect, neighborhoods become safer!
Plan a Block Party or Block Movie Night:1. Fill out and submit an application
3. If your request is approved, you must obtain signatures from a majority (more than 50%) of your neighbors on the Neighbor Petition (see links below). Submit the completed petition to the Recreation & Community Services Department along with required fees:
Block Party:Application & Barricades (drop-off/pick-up): $40**
Block Party - Application
Block Party - Neighbor Petition
For additional information on Block Parties, please contact Liam Kelly at (510) 528-5716.
Block Movie Night (above fees are waived):Deposit/Staff Time: $100 + film license ($100 - $300 depending on film selection)
Block Movie - Application
Block Movie - Neighbor Petition
For additional information on Block Movie Nights, please contact Brennen Brown at (510) 559-7222.
Barricades: You are required to block your street off with City of Albany barricades. These will be delivered to your street by 5 pm on the Friday prior to your event and picked up on the Monday following your event by Noon.
Bounce Houses: The City of Albany requires that bounce houses be placed on private property (e.g. front lawn or driveway) to allow street access for emergency vehicles.
*Unfortunately the City of Albany does not allow street closures on all blocks due to safety and traffic considerations.
**Invite the Fire Department to host a Disaster Preparedness training and receive 50% off the application/barricade fee.
Ideas for your next block party:
- Make it a theme party
- Have a costume contest (invite pets to participate)
- Pie contest or better yet a pie eating contest
- Clothing swap, toy swap, sports equipment swap
- Live music (i.e. is anyone on your block musically-inclined?)
- Bike races in the street - mark off a course with chalk
- Water balloon toss
- Create an outdoor photo booth
- Start a babysitting cooperative
- Make it a Block Movie Night and show a movie of your choice on a 12' screen
- Take the Community Emergency Response Team (CERT) training and do a short presentation for your neighbors
- Invite the 'REC’-ing Crew - Consider sprucing up your block party and invite the REC’-ing Crew to bring some additional fun. We have something for everyone- games for all ages, arts & crafts, activities, and music! See REC’ing Crew Fees for activity descriptions and pricing.
- Disaster Preparedness Training - do you and your neighbors know what to do in the event of a disaster? Invite the Albany Fire Department to your event to perform a disaster preparedness training and receive a 50% discount on the application/barricade fee. Trainings are subject to availability.
- Recruit - invite other neighbors to help with the planning and organizing
- Nominate a few neighbors to be in charge of clean-up
- BYO - ask people to bring their own plate, cup, utensils, something to throw on the grill, chair
- Collect money ahead of time - ask for contributions while you are collecting signatures for the Neighbor Petition.
- Start a block map - collect names of everyone that lives in the house (including children), pet names, profession/special training (is anyone a nurse, doctor, veterinarian, certified in CPR/1st Aid), location of emergency gas shut-off valve.
- Start a Neighborhood Watch group.
- Name tags - believe us...they help!