A shelter-in-place order is in effect for all Alameda County residents. City facilities are closed and non-essential meetings and events are cancelled.  Find more information here.

Dog Licenses

A dog requires a license in the City of Albany when it has reached 4 months of age. You will need a certificate of rabies vaccination that your veterinarian can easily supply to you at the time of vaccination. While rare in California, rabies is a fatal disease that can spread to humans and other pets. It is the responsibility of the pet owner to ensure that pets are vaccinated against rabies at all times. Talk to your veterinarian to establish a vaccination schedule for your pet and make sure you stick to it. Among other things, the license is proof that your pet has been inoculated.

A license can be purchased for one to three years, depending on the duration of the vaccination.  It is important to license your pet when it is four months old or within 10 days of bringing him/her home, otherwise late fees may apply. To get your pet license, please come to the City of Albany Finance Department Counter located at 1000 San Pablo Avenue. You will need to fill out the pet license application and bring your pet's certificate of rabies vaccination from your veterinarian.  Once the application has been completed, a license and press tag will be issued. 

Dog License Fees

























*Service Dogs: Exempt
Replacement Tag Fee: $7.82

Change of Custody

If the custody of the dog changes, as long as the dog remains in Albany, the license will extend for as long as it has been paid for or whenever the rabies vaccination expires, whichever comes first.

New Residents

Albany recognizes licenses from other Alameda County cities as long as the rabies vaccination is valid. If you're new to the City, contact Finance to receive an Albany license. No fees will apply until your first license renewal.

Other Animals

Chickens and Rabbits

Only female chickens (hens) and rabbits are allowed. Roosters are not allowed! A permit allows an individual to own up to six chickens or rabbits. In order to qualify for a permit, the housing structure for either chickens or rabbits must be 50 feet from any structure not owned by the animal owner. See subsection 10-2.1 of the City's Animal Control Ordinance which discusses the humane treatment of animals. Written consent of all neighbors must be provided. Permits are $184.00 and issued through the Community Development Department.

Animal Breeding

For any animal allowed by permit in the City, a permit must be purchased for $184.00 from the Community Development Department to allow breeding.


Goats can be kept temporarily for weed abatement. One goat is allowed for every 150 square feet of land for up to 60 days, must be securely contained to prevent escape and must have adequate shelter. See section 10-6.11 of the City's Animal Control Ordinance for details. This permit costs $184.00 and is also issued through the Community Development Department.