What is Tool Pool?
Need some extra tools for a home or garden project? Don't go out and buy a tool; check one out at the Albany Tool Pool! The Tool Pool is a free-to-use tool lending library consisting of over 100 tools available to all Albany residents. The Tool Pool is facilitated by the Albany Recreation and Community Services Department and is made possible by generous donations from Albany residents, businesses and the surrounding community.
How do I use Tool Pool?
To check out a tool, send an email to Jess Cosby, Tool Pool Coordinator; you can reserve tools, ask questions, and coordinate tool pickup times. Our tools are located onsite; tools are available for 7 day rental periods. Before you can leave the Albany Senior Center Annex with your desired tools, you will need to sign the Tool Pool liability waiver and provide proof of residency; it’s that easy!
Who is eligible to use Tool Pool?
Only residents of the city of Albany over the age of 18 are eligible to borrow tools from the Albany Tool Pool.
How do I register to use Tool Pool?
Residents who would like to utilize the Albany Tool Pool must register when borrowing tools. Registration will be completed on the day of tool pick up by providing verification of the borrower's address, a valid California driver’s license or ID, phone number and email address.
Tool Pool Guidelines
1. Registration for the Tool Pool is necessary for all those who check out a tool. You can register on the day of your tool pick up, just read and sign the Tool Pool liability waiver, provide proof of residency (a photo ID and a bill with your name and address on it) and provide a valid phone number and email.
2. Lending period is seven (7) days. ALL TOOLS ARE DUE BACK THE FOLLOWING WEEK BEFORE 5PM, NO EXCEPTIONS. Tools can be dropped off before the due date, but not after.
3. Tools must be returned to the Albany Senior Center during business hours.
4. Please clean the tools you have borrowed prior to returning them to the Albany Senior Center.
5. Once you have borrowed a tool, it is your personal and financial responsibility; any broken or lost tools will be replaced or repaired at the borrower’s expense.
6. Some of the tools available are power tools. City of Albany does not assume any risk in association with personal injury or property damage when using tools from the Tool Pool.
7. Please bring back all of your tools!
*If you are a resident that has special circumstances that prohibit you from adhering to the standard lending guidelines, contact the Tool Pool Coordinator. We will work with residents on a case by case basis to help meet their needs *
- Cabinet scraper
- Caulking gun
- Chisels, gouges & parting tools
- Digging/tamping bar
- Drill bits
- Fruit picker
- Garden claw
- Hedge shears
- Lopping shear
- Mini flexible pick-up claw
- Notched trowel
- Paint scraper, shield
- Pole pruner/saw/lopper (manual)
- Posthole digger
- Pruning saw
- Pruning shears
- Push broom
- Putty knife
- Shovels (round, square pt.)
- Socket sets (various)
- Utility knife
- Vise grips
This is not necessarily an exhaustive list of our tool offerings. If you don’t see the tool you need on this list, please contact the Tool Pool Coordinator; we may have it.
How do I donate to Tool Pool?
The Albany Tool Pool accepts donations of new and used tools. You must contact the Tool Pool Coordinator via email prior to bringing any donations to the Albany Senior Center for consideration. In general, we have the following restrictions on what we accept:
· Tools must be in good working order and include all parts vital to functioning properly and safely.
· We do not accept any hardware.
· We do not accept tools that need to be repaired.
· The tool must be portable.
Volunteer at the Albany Tool Pool!
The Albany Tool Pool Program always has a variety of work to do, such as tool maintenance and general upkeep, organizational tasks, label making, and other special projects.
If you are interested in volunteering for the Albany Tool Pool, please contact the Tool Pool coordinator, Jess Cosby.